Extending the Sentinel-1 Timing Annotation Datasets using the ESA S1-ETAD service

The European Space Agency (ESA) is supporting the implementation and testing of a new processor hosted on the Geohazards Exploitation Platform as a service.

The Sentinel-1 Extended Timing Annotation Dataset (S1-ETAD) service provides timing correction for Sentinel-1 IW and SM SLC products i.e. it does not generate any EO products but correction data provided in NetCDF format. Such correction data allow achieving greatly improved geodetic accuracy up to few centimetres. This processor encompasses ionosphere corrections, troposphere corrections, and solid tide earth time corrections. In addition, corrections for “system effects” on the Sentinel-1 timing (Doppler shift, accurate bi-static correction and height-dependent FM-rate mismatch) are also provided. To generate such corrections, the service uses precise information from different ancillary data sources such as IGS and ECMWF.

The service improves the Sentinel-1 timing to reach centimetre level accuracy allowing to improve the ground motion sensitivity in applications such as DInSAR, PSI, SBAS and offset tracking.

The service implements a service based on the algorithm published by C. Gisinger et al., “In-Depth Verification of Sentinel-1 and TerraSAR-X Geolocation Accuracy Using the Australian Corner Reflector Array,” in IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, vol. 59, no. 2, pp. 1154-1181, Feb. 2021, doi: 10.1109/TGRS.2019.2961248.

ESA is planning to start shortly a Test pilot involving experts in several domains which will show the benefits of applying such corrections in their workflows.

If you are interested and want to get involved in the Test Pilot, please refer to gep-team@esa.int

More information about S1-ETAD, dataset structure, python API and more can be found in here.

2 Likes

I tried sending this through email but it failed.

Hello, I am interested in generating and/or acquiring ETAD data for a current project. I have an account on the GeoHazards TEP, but when I attempt to use the GeoBrowser to generate ETAD data, I do not have the “Services” menu under the “Processing Services” tab available. Is it possible I need to be added to the “SETAP” group, or be added to another group of some kind? Or do I need to be granted privileges by being involved in the test pilot?

I would be appreciative of any advice you have, and if I need to be added to certain groups in order to access this data, please add me or let me know what actions (if any) I need to do to be granted the required privileges. Thank you.

Hi @cbrodows! Following up to our discussions per email at the end of January, I just want to reiterate that you can still take part of the pilot and make use of ETAD products. If your interest is renewed, be sure to send an email to s1-etad@esa.int and we will be happy to add you to the community.